Thursday, February 22, 2007

My first walk-in..

Last weekend i attend a walk-in, its IBM walk-in, but i attend without any intension of get thro' until they offered me a good work or great package. As usual it was very late when i slept on Saturday night but somehow I manage to got up early morning on Sunday , modified my resume and went to Bandra-Kurla complex (BKC). it is too big complex. I never been there somehow manage to reach there around 1 PM. Complex is too clean and huge one looks like a small city.

There were lots of panel. I told them that i want to attend both for java and unix as i do have any stable technology on my history, but they asked me to first attend for unix and we think abt the java since interviews are different.

So I stepped into the IBM office (that looks like a IBM sales office) with a visitors tag.Then i filled an self assessments form. After that they called me for the technical interview, it went for more than an hour They asked me almost in all the technology( c, c++, sql, DBMS, OS, Unix, OOPS, DS, .. ) some how i managed to answer more then 85 % of the question without any preparation then u can thing of how basic questions are they ?!?!?! Also i was explaining abt myself and the project i did and my roles in the projects and my daily work routines.

After this interview, they again called me and asked to fill the employment form. It was much clear abt my selection.I called my fri'd in IBM who fwded this openning.I asked abt the office and there policies. In the mean while i also enquire abt the other ppl who already came out this 2nd round that is PDM. its just a pay negotiation. so i went to the 2nd round, they directly asked abt my expectation. i mentioned abt 6+ and discussion went and went finally i came down to 5 - 5.5 till that time they didn't told abt there package eventho' i asked lot of time then i asked abt the work, its again that same support work. my face become like this :( And i confirm that its for IBM global solution but not for IBM s/w limited then my face gone like :(((. Finally they started with 3.75. It was total disappointment.I know they can come upto 4.5 but I simple refused the offer as both the pay and works were not so good.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed my first walkin and it gave me lots of confidents about myself.Thanks and good bye IBM.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Manikanda kumar said...

IBM is not always known for it's pay. One of my friend (Senthil Rajah) had same experience with IBM. He did clear all the interviews, but while negotiating salary they revealed all the things which he was asking in the interview (type of work, salary, etc.,). Most of work in IBM these days is almost support work which is not going to help us developing our career.

-Manikanda kumar

1:25 AM  
Blogger Manivannan P said...

IBM 'was' a paymaster, 'was' a great work enviroment, 'was'the most innovative & charming brand. But, i think it is not nowadays. Reason is simple, they rapidly hiked their work force and the co- is really over-crowded now. So,'paymaster' tag has gone. When companies grow in size, they cut down facilities, employee benefits -- especially the employee payscale.

Peronally I like the brand IBM (not the employment) :-)

Leave that prab. Opportunities are always pooled.

(but, posting such things in blog, doesnt bother you? your colleagues dont visit here? )

2:37 AM  
Blogger prabs said...

@Manik
Yup. but (ISL)IBM S/W Limited is good.we may get good work and R&D but not sure abt the pay. IGS (IBM global service) is becoming help desk day by day.

@mani
May be few colleagues visits, but not a big deal. Here almost everyone is open type. Initially i also thought the same but I didn't found anythg bad abt this.

I wish to be a open book. :P

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today i attended IBM PDM and they offered me a salary less then my current salary.....
God knows how IBM is attracting good talent or it is just a heap of junk talent!!!

11:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My Experience with IBM has been really very bad. I had got 2 calls from IBM regarding my interview and a mail as well, the copy of which I was supposed to carry. After I reported to the IBM office and waited for sometime, I was told that there were no interivews taking place that day for the particular content area(SAP CRM). Even when I produced the copy of about it!! I even showed them the received call list which showed their office number but even after accepting that it was their office number, they denied about the interview being conducted there.the e-mail sent by IBM itself, they said they dint have any idea of the mail. It would have been okay if they said tat the interview was cancelled, but denying the interveiw itself is really bad.. People will obviously loose trust if this is the case!!

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home